Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Mouse in the House

This is a story that simply must be documented.

A couple of weeks ago, I got up with the girls in the morning, got Lex some breakfast, and started doing laundry.  I was transferring a load from the washer to the dryer, and had to hang dry a few things, so I walked away from the dryer to hang them on the rack.  As I turned back to the dryer, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye... a very small little furball.  I stopped dead in my tracks, and held completely still while I stared at it.  It was so small and holding so still, I was wondering if it was even real.  I knew Lex didn't have any toy mice, but I was just HOPING that somehow it was fake.  It finally twitched a little bit, and I freaked out!  Luckily I didn't scream, I just kept repeating, "Oh my gosh.  Oh my gosh." over and over.  I hurried to the living room to put Mia down-- she had been on my hip, as usual-- and quickly went back to the laundry to make sure the mouse was still there.  I then grabbed a glass bowl from my kitchen, and crept up on the mouse.  I was shaking, freaking out inside, but didn't want to draw attention to it, cause I didn't want Lex to come over (she was watching a show while she ate breakfast, thank heavens!).  I lowered the bowl slowly over the mouse, then dropped it down at the last second.  Initially I caught the mouse's tail under the edge of the bowl, which I felt bad about (weird, I know), so I hurried and scooted the bowl a little so it wasn't on its tail.  After the mouse was contained, I really freaked out!  I texted DJ but I knew he was teaching and wouldn't be able to respond or help, so I called my mom and cried to her.  She was incredibly sympathetic, as she lived places early in her marriage where she dealt with mice.  She calmed me down, which I was SO grateful for.  She told me to clean out my food cupboards and look for mouse droppings and/or food that had holes chewed in the packaging.  I went to Wal Mart and bought a whole bunch of containers to store food in, mouse traps, and D-Con.  I spent my afternoon cleaning out my pantry and food cupboards, and found no other evidence of mice.  When DJ got home I made him get the mouse out of my house, and also had him set some mouse traps (inside and outside).  Weeks later we still haven't seen any further evidence of mice, and I'm convinced that little guy was the only one.  I'm quite positive he snuck in the Saturday before, cause we had been cleaning out the cars and washing the dog and left our door open for several hours as we were going in and out.  I think he was young, and couldn't find anything to eat, so that's why he was slow and just sitting there and I was able to trap him in a bowl-- he was already starting to starve.  The thing is, my house is not dirty.  It gets cluttered, but it's not actually dirty.  I sweep and mop my floor WITH BLEACH nearly every day.  It gets done at least six times a week.  So I'm not too worried about a repeat of this,  especially since I'm vigilant about keeping my door shut now!


Trapped mouse:


The best part of the whole situation is how organized my food cupboard is now.  I love it!


In the end, it was really yucky, but no big deal.  Mice happen, I guess.  Lots of people have dealt with mice.  Now I have too.  Welcome to real life, I suppose!

0 comments:

Post a Comment