Sunday, March 16, 2014

Simple Things

There are a couple blog posts I really need to write... updates on my babies, and--oh yeah-- that time I found a mouse in my house...  but right now, I just want to write about some cool things that have happened to me at church.

A few weeks ago, we had a ward dinner.  We ate and chatted and then were thoroughly entertained by a group of dancing grandmas, a few of whom were from our ward.  If you know me at all, you know how much I LOVE stuff like that!  Seriously-- I couldn't stop smiling and laughing.  So awesome.  Unbeknownst to me, during the dinner there was a lady in the ward going around taking pictures.  Later that night, this picture went up on our ward's Facebook page:




I can't lie... I love it.  Not because I look amazing or anything (I hadn't even showered after being at the gym.. ha!), but simply because it captured me interacting with my baby.  Completely unstaged.  This is what I do, day in and day out.  I love my girls more than I could ever begin to express.  I'm just so grateful to be able to have a tiny snippet of that love captured in this photo!

Last week, after Sacrament meeting, the lady who was sitting behind me started talking to me.  I honestly don't know her name (I'm in the Nursery, remember? I pretty much only know the littles in the ward :) ), but she was so so sweet.  She told me that she thought it was awesome that I stayed home and took care of my babies all day.  She acknowledged that it's not an easy job, but that it was the best thing I could be doing.  I've thought about that conversation all week, and I've felt so grateful to her!  She didn't have to say anything, but she did, and it meant so much to me.  Being a stay-at-home mom is NOT easy.  It is definitely the best job I've ever had, and it's SO rewarding, and most days I love it.  But it's certainly not easy, and it was nice to hear from someone else that they knew what it's like and that I was doing the right thing!

Today, I had the opportunity to sing a solo in Sacrament meeting, and I chose to sing "Lead Kindly, Light."  I honestly didn't put too much thought into it-- just chose a song with a fairly simple accompaniment so that my friend wouldn't have to take too much time working on it.  I have always loved the song, too.  After Sacrament meeting, a man came up to me (again, I don't know him), and told me that when he was a soldier in Vietnam, he had had a really horrible day.  People he knew had died.  He was really struggling, and he prayed to Heavenly Father that he could feel some peace, and the words to "Lead Kindly, Light" came to his mind.  He told me that when I started singing it, the feelings he had then came back to him.  I felt humbled that he'd share such a personal experience with me.  I wanted to hug him but didn't since I didn't know him-- something I've pretty much been regretting all day.  It was another instance where someone opened up to me when they didn't need to, and I'm so grateful they did.  I know I'm never going to sing that song again without thinking of him.  

These little things are just that-- little things.  But they are little things that have really helped me.  It just goes to show that you never know what someone might be needing, so don't hesitate to open your mouth and say it when you feel you should.  It doesn't matter if you don't know them.  Heavenly Father does, and we all know that He works through His children to help His other children.  I'm so so grateful for that.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment