Sunday, March 9, 2014

Nursery

There tends to be a negative feeling towards the nursery at church.  It's a running joke in LDS culture to make fun of being called to be a nursery leader. We've all seen things like this:


We laugh and move on.  But I've got a different take for you.

I've been a nursery leader for the past 6 months, and I love it.  There are certainly times when I wish I knew people in my ward better-- since I got put into nursery a month after moving in, I know the other ladies who are nursery leaders, and I know the 18-month to 3-year-old children very well.  Other than that, well... thank heaven for Facebook, which allows me to {creepily} get to know other people a little better.  Because of the stigma associated with nursery, I have sometimes poked fun at my calling, referring to myself as the "Ward Babysitter."  A few weeks ago I realized that this attitude is pretty much terrible.  

When was the last time you spent any time around a 2-year-old?  I'm blessed to do it all day, every day.  2-year-olds are the funniest.  They are innocent.  Watching them learn and grow is incredible.  From the ages of 18 months to 3 years, children are learning and developing so so much.  I feel incredibly blessed to have been called to teach these sweet kids about their Savior.  I love that I get to teach them songs about family, loving each other, where they came from, and their Heavenly Father.  

The thing is, I know that this is a calling from God.  I didn't volunteer for it.  That's not how it works in this church.  Heavenly Father wanted me in nursery, so here I am.  I realize that I can just show up and go through the motions, or I can go and be the best darn nursery leader I can possibly be.  I choose to do the best job that I can, cause I believe that's what Heavenly Father expected from me when I accepted the calling.  So I'm going to keep getting down on the ground and sit on a rug with those sweet kiddos.  I'm going to keep singing all the songs.  I'm going to keep being down in the middle of all the toys, playing right along with them.  I love them.  Their spirits are valiant.  I'm so grateful for the chance I have to be with them for just a few hours each week. 

We really shouldn't make fun of any position in the church.  Heavenly Father knows us better than we know ourselves, and he certainly knows our neighbors better than we know them.  He knows exactly where we should be at all times of our lives.  If you're a Bishop, it's because He knows you and what you need.  If you're a Sunday School teacher, it's because He knows you and what you need.  If you're a Girl's Camp Director, it's because He knows you and what you need.  If you're a nursery leader, it's because He knows you and what you need.  So here's to being grateful for our callings, for recognizing Heavenly Father's hand in our lives, and for trusting that He will do what is best-- and leaving it at that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment