Monday, December 31, 2012


Three little letters every parent dreads:  RSV. 

The day after Christmas, Lexsi stopped eating.  She had had a low-grade fever and a cough for a few days, but I wasn't too worried about it.  When she stopped eating, I decided I should take her to the doctor.  We had to go to the after-hours clinic, and couldn't get in til 8pm.  By 10pm, we found out we were going to the hospital.  Her oxygen levels were low, and they wanted to monitor her through the night.  We were in Provo, but the closest hospital that had any open rooms was in American Fork.  We were just grateful we didn't have to go up to Salt Lake!  We got Lex on oxygen and drove to the hospital.  They hooked her up to monitors, suctioned out her nose and throat, and took vitals.  She was FURIOUS at them for suctioning her out, and the nurses were commenting on how strong she is-- she was screaming and flailing and kicking the nurses.  I have to say, I was pretty proud of her fiery spirit even though I felt bad that she was sad!  We were grateful that she started drinking pedialyte once we got to the hospital, so she didn't need to be hooked up to an IV.  That would have been torture for us all!!!

Just before getting Lex into the doctor, DJ had gone to see Les Miserables.  While in the hospital that first night, I kept thinking of the line from "Master of the House" that says, "Charge 'em for the lice, extra for the mice, two percent for looking in the mirror twice."  I was just thinking of how each thing the doctors were doing would be adding up on our bill!  Luckily, we're very blessed that due to our great insurance, we don't have to pay for any part of the hospital stay.  

We were in the hospital for 3 days, and they were pretty boring and uneventful.  Lexsi did have a reputation on the Pediatrics floor-- each new nurse would say something like, "Oh, this is 'Fiery Lex,' huh?" or "So this is Lexsi the fighter!" or, "I heard Lexsi is quite a singer!"  She was such a good sport.  She was singing and clapping and was generally happy (except when they were suctioning her out!).  We're happy to be home now, and she just has to be on oxygen when she sleeps.  We're pretty much keeping her in lockdown in our house for a few weeks, which is kinda crappy for all of us.  In the end, we're just grateful she has the medical help she needs!

I tried to get some pictures of her during the process, but they were on my crappy phone.  Better than nothing, I suppose!

Getting an albuterol treatment in the doctor's office:

On the way to the hospital with her oxygen:

Waking up for the first time in the hospital:

Sleeping in the hospital (don't you kind of love that tiny hospital gown!!):

Cute little feet in the hospital crib (with a probe on her foot to monitor oxygen):

Playing with toys in the hospital 
(for the record, DJ and I totally slept on a twin-sized bed together for 3 nights... gag!!!):

Sleepy Granny-Baby on oxygen:

Watching football with Daddy:


Post a Comment