Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Mong me a fish.

I was a rough night.  Lex was up nearly every hour, crying her heart out.  At about 5am, I was feeding her, and for some reason "Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match," came into my head.  My exhausted brain made the leap from there to "Fishmonger, fishmonger, mong me a fish."  That got me wondering if "mong" was even a word.  Well, it is.  Kind of-- it's slang in Britain for a foolish person.  So, I don't think you can really mong someone a fish.

A writer writes.
A player plays.
A teacher teaches.


So naturally a monger should mong.  But they don't.

Morals of the story:

#1- Sometimes, words don't follow the rules.  Welcome to linguistics.
#2- You're never going to think of that song the same again, right?
#3- This whole moving thing is making me crazy.

1 comment:

  1. DJ should be saying this really but the set up was too good to ignore...

    That's quite a "tale"

    ReplyDelete