Monday, January 9, 2012

In 2012....

I kind of hate the word "resolution."  Have I ever mentioned that?  I hate the idea that everyone is "resolved" to do something fabulous at the beginning of every year... because for some strange reason, attaching the word "resolution" to a goal automatically makes me think it's not going to last long... maybe I'm just crazy?  ANYWAY... here are some goals I have for this year:

1- Continue to keep a positive attitude. I'm aware that I've got some tough times ahead of me.  Let's be serious... in a few short weeks I'm going to be birthing a child, and that's only the beginning!  I'll have a little person who relies on me for everything, every minute of every day.  The thought of this is thrilling to me, but I'm not naive enough to believe motherhood will come without its challenges!  I just want to apply the same attitude I have to my pregnancy to my life as a mom as well; just be sooo grateful I have the opportunity to experience it, and when my negative thoughts slip in, get rid of them as quickly as possible!

2- Attend the temple.  Let's be honest, it's the best place to be!  I haven't gone as much as I should since I've been pregnant, and I don't really have an excuse.  It's not going to get any easier to go to the temple after I have a baby and move out of Utah, so I really want to take advantage of the opportunity I have to go while I'm still here!

3- Lose the baby weight.  My goal is to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight by my birthday.  That gives me approximately 3 months from the time I have my baby.  Lest you think I'm being a little "pie-in-the-sky" about this, let's think about it:  First of all, I've gained less than 30 pounds.  I'm assuming I'll lose about 8 pounds the day I give birth (hooray, Savage fatty babies!).  Even if I gain a few more pounds before I deliver, I shouldn't have more than 25 to lose to get back to pre-pregnancy weight after I give birth.  For 3 months, that's about 8 pounds a month, or 2 pounds a week.  Obviously I won't hit that every week, but some weeks will be more, some less.  I already have plans to go on walks (maybe even become a "mall-walker," due to the season) very shortly after coming home from the hospital.  After a few weeks, I'm going to dive into my Lindsay Brin post-natal boot camp DVD's.  Plus, I'll be nursing, so hopefully that helps out!  Anyway, don't tell me I can't do this, cause if I want to, I can.  (Positive thinking plus action equals the desired results!!!)

4- Date night once a week!  Since our lives will suddenly involve a third person, I want to make sure DJ and I continue to make time for each other and our relationship!  I love that guy so much, and I never want to forget to take the time to continue to build our marriage!

5- Get myself ready for the day.  Just because I'll be a stay-at-home mom doesn't mean I should let myself go!  I guarantee this is going to be my hardest goal to keep.  I know there will be plenty of days I hang out in sweats with my hair in a pony tail.  But I'm going to do my best-- I really don't want to turn into a schlumpy frumpy mess :)

6- Be a good mom.  I'm incredibly blessed, because I got the best little mommy a girl could ask for!  She's showed me what to do, and I know if I follow her example then I'll turn out okay, and I'm pretty sure my kids will too :)  I'm looking forward to reading scriptures to my baby girl from the time I bring her home from the hospital, taking her to church, and teaching her all kinds of fun things!

So there you go-- a few basic, attainable goals for this year!

3 comments:

  1. Those are good, attainable goals, I think. I love that you are seeing (or trying to see) the big picture of what life is like after you become a family of three. The date night? Crucial. DJ deserves that, and so do you. Hiring a babysitter is much cheaper than marriage counseling! ;-)

    Also I love your "get ready for the day" goal. I hear so many first-time moms say something to the effect of "I can't even find time to shower now that I have a baby." That was never, ever a problem for me, because I felt the exact same way you do. Life is just better once you get a shower and a dab of make-up on. It will make you feel better about yourself, I promise you that. And really, newborns sleep so, so much that there should not be any excuse for not taking a shower. Really.

    Your life is about to be turned upside down, and I am so excited for you! Adjusting to having that first baby was probably the hardest adjustment of my life, but oh, so wonderful, too. You are going to cry more and laugh more and love harder than you ever have before in your life. Most days are impossibly hard, but then you have those moments that just take your breath away, and you know you are experiencing a tiny piece of heaven. It's an absolute ride. Welcome to the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3...just don't push yourself too much, you could really do some permanent damage. You are not supposed to do real exercising for 6 weeks after you give birth. You might want to account for that in your goal. That's great to write them down though, I know I stick to my goals better when I see them in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2!!!!
    It's the happiest place on earth.

    ReplyDelete