Saturday, August 6, 2011

10 Random Pregnancy Thoughts

#1: I don't know who decided that pregnancy was equated with pickles and ice cream.  Probably one woman ever wanted that, and I'm guessing she just wanted that mix of sweet and salty and it was before chocolate-covered pretzels were invented.  That doesn't mean any one else ever thought it was a good idea.  So don't ask me if I want any and then act like you're the world's funniest person.  Thanks.

#2: A lovely little thing has been introduced into my life.  It's called heartburn.  Curse you, heartburn!  A couple days ago I had acid in my throat ALL. DAY. LONG.  I ended up throwing up, which of course only perpetuated the issue.  Horrifying.  I've heard that if you have a lot of heartburn when you're pregnant, your baby will have lots of hair when they're born.  Some say it's an old wives' tale, but there's actually a study about it in the "What to Expect" book-- and let's be serious, that thing is practically the Bible.  So, it looks like I'll be giving birth to a very hairy child (Esau, anyone?).  Or, given the size of the typical Savage infant, it may be more like a baby Sasquatch.

#3: I've become aware that there is a sick right of passage for Kaiser girls: you must throw up in a plastic bag in your car while driving in order to be a real woman.  Or something like that.

#4: A quick thought on complaining:  One of my biggest pet peeves in the world when I was trying to get pregnant for so long was when I would hear people complain about their pregnancies.  I would think, "Seriously?  All I want more than anything is to be pregnant, and you're going to complain about being pregnant???"  I would pray my heart out and say that I'd take any kind of sickness and discomfort that came with it if I could just be pregnant.  And I swore to myself I'd do it without complaining.  You know what?  I think I've done a pretty good job of that.  I joke about getting fat and other things, but I really don't mind.  Even when I throw up and DJ asks if I'm okay I usually just say, "I'm fine."  I don't think I've really complained (you'd have to verify that with my husband, he may think differently), and that's something I'm proud of!  Really I have nothing to complain about right?  I asked for this blessing for so long and now that I have it the last thing I'm going to do is gripe about it!

#5: "Getting thick," is a term I say in my head multiple times a day.  I look at myself in the mirror and I think it.  I feel the way my clothes fit and I think it.  I sit down and see my gut and I think it.  Cause really, I've gained like 6 pounds but I feel like I look fat.  I have a little pudge in front and my love handles are thickening along with a little back fat.  I'm really okay with it, given the circumstances, it's just weird.  I didn't think it would happen quite so early.  My mom informed me it's because I didn't have strong stomach muscles before I got pregnant.  Good to know I'm kind of a slug, Mom, thanks! ;)  But seriously, I'm sure she's probably right.

#6:  Sugar is my best friend.  I am a salt-lover in real life, but since I've been pregnant I can't get enough sweets.  It's super super weird for me.  I drink Crystal Light ALL the time, which I didn't even like before.  Every time I eat a meal I think, "Okay, now where's the dessert?"  That's just bizarre.  I don't even really like dessert in real life.  I may or may not have eaten 4 cookies last night at a barbecue.

#7:  Maxi dresses are my absolute best friend.  It's all about reducing the bulk around the waist, people!

#8:  For a while when I was trying to get pregnant I got bitter about other people who were and I hated hearing about it on Facebook and other places.  After a couple months of that I realized it was my own issues that we're making me upset, and I was choosing to be angry instead of just being happy for them.  So, I got over it and got used to seeing other preggos and I still wanted to be pregnant but it didn't make me mad any more that I wasn't.  The thing is, some days I worry about posting stuff about my pregnancy on Facebook cause I don't want to make anyone sad.  And then I have to remind myself that this is my life and I have every right to be thrilled about it!  The last thing I'm going to do is complain on Facebook.  But if I want to share something about my life, why the heck not??? If that's offensive to you, remove my as a friend. I won't be offended.

#9:  When I was a teenager, and even since I've been married, I always thought, "It will be SO nice not to have a period for 9 months!"  And what's funny is, when you're pregnant that doesn't really cross your mind.  You've got so many other things you're dealing with that you don't really remember the fact that your skipping your period.  Don't get me wrong, it is nice and I don't miss it one bit, but I'm sure the aftermath of childbirth will more than make up for 9 missed periods.  Gross.

#10:  It's really weird that to get a baby you have to grow it inside yourself!  I was thinking about that the other day.  I mean, really?  There is a HUMAN BEING growing inside my body.inside???  Bizarre.  Incredible, but still, bizarre.


3 comments:

  1. #1: I'm sure you're right about that. There is only one woman that I've EVER heard asking for that when she was pregnant...but she just liked pickles and ice cream...ate it even when she wasn't pregnant so she doesn't count.
    #2: Heart burn SUCKS. With Emma I had the worst heart burn EVER! I woke up one morning (like 2am) begging Jon for a blessing because I literally couldn't breath it was burning my throat so bad. (In case you're wondering...Emmalee has a lot of hair...all over).
    #4: I know that I, personally, actually enjoyed some of the miseries of pregnancy after losing Elizabeth right before I got pregnant with Emmalee.
    #5: Don't worry, that stage of "getting thick" doesn't last too long...it's a LOT easier when you look pregnant instead of just like you're gaining weight. ;)
    #6: Worst part of pregnancy. (I already had a terrible sweet tooth...pregnancy made it worse...thankfully my babies never seemed to have a problem with chocolate).
    #8: Post away...you worked hard for this, you deserve to revel in it.
    #9: It is nice. :) And don't look at the "aftermath" it will make you freak out.
    #10: I don't think that ever goes away, even with my 4th child...it's still weird to think about a human being growing inside of me...it's the weirdest, coolest thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel you on every single one of those points (except I'm the opposite for #6, I've gone from being a sweet tooth fiend to not really craving more than frozen yogurt now and then! Oh, and I haven't had heartburn too bad... belching and er... gas... yea, lots of that hahahha sorry tmi)!

    And I'm glad you said that about the posting on FB thing b/c I've had so many friends struggling with infertility mention how they hate people posting about their pregnancies all the time that I feel guilty anytime I do post about it... but it is my life right now and they can just block me if it gets to be to much I guess! I have been pretty good about not complaining though. Every time I'm about to I think, "so-and-so would give anything to go through this, so I will hold my tongue."

    And yes, person growing inside me. SO WEIRD. How did Heavenly Father come up with that one? But as I read about the baby's development each week and how it just knows to grow organs here and skin there, it's such a testimony of these bodies we're given being created by God. It's way to complex for anything else to be the explanation! The human body is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can take Zantac for heartburn! Do it! Changed my pregnancy (and life!)

    ReplyDelete