Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Easy Upcycle-- My Best One Yet!

Yesterday I pulled out a bin of my clothes I haven't worn in a while, and found this cute skirt:



It's one I bought before I had kids {read: before I had love handles} and I wore it low on my hips.  It's just really not flattering any more on me!  I was going to give it away, but I really like the fabric so I decided to try making Lex a maxi dress out of it.  I went to Wal Mart and got a 3-pack of Carter's onesies for $7.25 and went to work.  Here's the onesie I chose to be the top of the dress:


After trying it on Lex, I decided that starting the skirt of the dress right above the monkey's head on the onesie was the perfect spot.  I put the skirt around her, marked where I needed to cut it, then cut and re-sewed it back together in the back.  I really liked the the little tie- detail in the front, so I left that there, only making one seam in the back as an alteration.  The skirt was the perfect length to be a maxi for Lex, so I didn't even have to hem the bottom!  Easiest dress ever!   After I cut and re-sewed the skirt, I tried it on Lex before attaching it to the onesie to make sure it would fit:


Then I sewed it to the onesie!  I decided not to cut the onesie in half and just have a shirt top, but to leave the whole onesie intact.  One of my biggest pet peeves of little girls in skirts and dresses is when they sit down or pull at their skirts and you see their diapers or panties.  I'm so not down with that!  I always make my girls where bloomers or onesies so their diapers are covered, so I decided it would be just as easy to leave the onesie in one piece for this dress:



And that was it!  Two seams-- the one to sew up the skirt and the one to attach the skirt to the onsie.  And now my girl has an adorable maxi dress!


She looks like such a big girl in this dress!  I love her!




Total cost: Less than $2.50.  SO worth it!!!






0 comments:

Post a Comment