Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Primary Children's: Part 1

On the day Alexsi was born, our doctor told us she had Congenital Hip Displaysia.  Basically her hip joints didn't form properly, and her hips can pop out.  It's not terribly serious, especially when caught so early.  We've been keeping her in 3 diapers at all times just to help stabilize her hips.  Today we went up to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake for her to get an ultrasound.  The radiologist told us both her hips are formed abnormally, and we will need to meet with an orthopedic surgeon to discuss what happens next.  We have an appointment to do so on Thursday morning.  What will probably happen is that she'll have to be in a brace to hold her legs in place to try to get the hips to re-form properly.  Other options include a cast that will hold them in place, and/or surgery, if necessary.  We're optimistic, and extremely grateful it was caught so early!

When we got to the radiology wing I went up to the counter to check Alexsi in.  I heard someone crying, and glanced over to the hall and saw a little boy in a wheelchair with his mom and a nurse waiting outside the imaging rooms.  I gave them a quick smile and continued with my own business.  After I checked Lexsi in, I got a better look at the boy, who was still crying, and my heart sank.  He was bald, and I assumed he had cancer.  Sure enough, I heard a nurse say he was 6 years old and had leukemia.  I was having a really hard time keeping my composure, listening to him cry.  He was in the imaging room next to us and he continued to cry for the entire half hour we were there.  It was absolutely heartbreaking.  I saw his mom just rubbing his head, and that was equally heartbreaking, knowing that she really couldn't do more for him.  Naturally, my thoughts went to my own sweet mother-in-law and brother-in-law.  I've heard the stories of how my BIL had leukemia as a small child [twice] and how my MIL spent so much time in Primary Children's with him while my father-in-law and the rest of the kids stayed in Wyoming.  I've even seen some pictures of him during the process.  Still, nothing made it as real to me as seeing this sweet little boy today.  It made me realize even more how incredible my MIL is, to somehow make it through that process with him not once, but twice.  It made me appreciate a little more how difficult it must have been for my FIL to stay in Wyoming with all his other kids and go to work every day, trying to make life as normal as possible while his wife and son were in another state in such an unstable condition.  In made me SO grateful for Grandma Savage and the aunts in Lovell, who stepped in to take care of my husband and his siblings while their mom was gone, which must have been so difficult for everyone involved.  It made me thankful that my BIL is still here, that he was able to persevere through that trial twice, and that I get to know him now and be related to him.  He's just about the funniest person I've ever met in my life, and is one of the most positive people I've ever known.  

I keep picturing that sweet boy in my head, and really it's just heart-wrenching.  I'm grateful, though, for the perspective I gained today.  I'm going to hug my baby a little tighter tonight.  I'm so grateful that all I have to worry about are her hips.

0 comments:

Post a Comment