Monday, February 13, 2012

In the Middle of the Night....

A week ago at my doctor appointment, I found out I was STILL not dilated.  For the past week, I've been going on LOTS of walks, trying to help myself along.  On Thursday night I was having lots of contractions, and didn't sleep well.  The whole weekend I wasn't feeling well at all, and spent lots of time just resting.  Last night, I went to bed around 11:30, and at midnight I started having regular contractions.  My doctor had told me that if i had contractions 3-5 minutes apart for an hour, I should go to the hospital.  I started timing them, and I was REALLY hoping they would continue.  Seriously, in between each contraction I was praying that they would keep going and not taper off.  After about an hour and 15 minutes, the contractions were consistently 4 minutes apart.  I kept putting off going to the hospital because I didn't want them to send me home.  DJ asked how close together they were, and suggested we go.  We headed up to the hospital, and as I was checking in, I suddenly had a moment of panic, thinking that I could actually have a baby!  They brought me into a room and had me put on a gown, then the nurse came in and put a monitor on the baby's heart rate and another to monitor my contractions.  She checked my cervix, and I was dilated to a 2.  She left me in the room for an hour to see if I progressed at all.  After she left I told DJ I had kind of changed my mind-- maybe I didn't want a baby after all?  The fact that I was in the hospital, in a hospital bed, monitors strapped to me... was just a bit much.  For the first time since I've been pregnant, I freaked out.  It passed quickly, though, and then I was good again :)  We spent the hour watching the monitor with my contractions, and when the nurse came back in to check me, I hadn't progressed.  SO-- now that it was nearing 3 AM, we headed back home.  She offered to give me a shot that would help me sleep through the contractions, but since I had an appointment with my doctor just 6 hours later I decided not to take the shot-- my body doesn't react super well to sedatives... If I take a Tylenol PM, it knocks me out for at least 10 hours.  I figured since it was 3 AM I wouldn't have any issue falling asleep-- FALSE.  The whole rest of the night I was cursing myself for not taking the blasted shot.  Stinkin contractions!  At 9:15 AM DJ and I headed to the doctor.  He checked my cervix again, and I was still at a 2.  He said that since I was having all the contractions, he wanted to induce me on Wednesday!  I'm scheduled to go in at 5 AM Wednesday morning, unless of course she comes before that.  I don't expect that she will, since she's been so stubborn this far!  It's soooo nice to have a date, though!  We're SUPER excited to have our little girl here!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Ashleigh, wishing you a quick and safe labor and deliery! Enjoy these last couple days. :) So excited for you being able to meet your little girl so soon!