Sunday, January 1, 2012

Christmas

We had Christmas with my family on Thursday the 22nd, because my family headed to Virginia on the 23rd to spend Christmas with my brother and his family.  On Thursday evening we went out to dinner at The Pizza Factory, which was fabulous!  We then came home and opened presents.  DJ got his dream Christmas present of an apple peeler/corer/slicer, and he was thrilled!  (Simple pleasures, right?)  We got some adorable clothes for Alexsi, a griddle, a bread hook for our Kitchenaid, and my personal favorite, Dr. Seuss books.  LOVE that guy!!!

On Friday the 23rd I went to work until 3pm, so it didn't feel too much like Christmas.  BUT, when I got home, DJ and I did have our own Christmas together.  We opened presents (it's always weird how little time that takes with only 2 people), and it was a blast!  The best part for me was that I actually surprised DJ!  He's  kind of a snoop, so it's hard to keep secrets from him.  This year, though, his big present was a new golf bag. I bought it after Thanksgiving and wrapped it in the huge box our stroller came in.  It was over half the size of our little Christmas tree!  Needless to say, he was very curious about it, and was happy when he opened it.  DJ got me some movies, a couple shirts, and most importantly, a SERGER!  Just what every girl needs :)  I'm super excited about it.  I serged the edges of some burp cloths that night, but haven't been able to use it more than that since we've been out of town.  But I can promise, that blessed little machine will be getting a LOT of use!  We were also thrilled with the gifts Josh and Carly sent us-- all I can say is, Carly has superb taste in children's clothing!  (And movies, by the way!)

On Saturday morning we got up at 4am and headed to Lovell for Christmas.  Our drive went really well, and we made excellent time, especially considering that we stopped every 2 hours for me to get out and walk around (doctor's orders).  It was fun to see everyone on Christmas Eve, but man were we exhausted!  Nikki and I took a nap together in the afternoon, which helped, but it was still a tired time.  That night, Nikki, Keesha and I were planning on going to Midnight Mass at the Catholic church in Lovell.  It's something I've always wanted to do, cause I'm really fascinated with religion.  Unfortunately, the church in Lovell wasn't holding Mass, apparently the Mass was in Powell, which we didn't find out til the next day.  The good news is that Annie told me she'd go with me a different year :)  The very BEST part of the day was when DJ and I carried on a tradition we started last year-- we decided that we'd each make each other a gift, and that gift would be opened on Christmas Eve.  His homemade gift for me this year was my absolute favorite part of Christmas:

This is a love note box!  DJ covered it in paper and pictures of us, and put a few love notes in it to start the year out right.  There was a note included that told me to put it somewhere in our home and he'd add a new love note to it once a week.  Can I just tell you how much I adore this man?  He's the sweetest husband ever!

My homemade gift to DJ wasn't nearly so sentimental, but it was fun to make and I was happy with the results:

It was an idea that evolved as I made it, and ended up taking longer than expected, but it was totally worth it! I love making stuff for him!

On Christmas day we got up and opened presents with the Savage fam.  Mama Savage had told us that if we didn't tell her what we wanted for Christmas we were going to end up with underwear.  I told her to go right ahead and do that, and she most certainly did for me :)  She also got us the scripture readers for Alexsi, which is great!  We went to Sacrament meeting that morning, and came home to the annual family Christmas breakfast, which is kind of a big deal in this family!  It was so fun to see all the extended family as well.  After breakfast, we headed down to Grandma and Grandpa's for more presents.  A fun tradition they have is that Grandpa and Grandma save their change all year long and at Christmas they draw names out of a bucket and give the change away.  This year I was one of the lucky winners, and I'm sure I'll find something awesome to do with my winnings :)  

The rest of the week was spent playing games, football, reading, resting, and just spending time with family.  One of the highlights of my week was watching some rousing games of sock monkey basketball:


Yep, that really happened.  The best part was listening to them really getting into it.  If you don't know this family, they can get competitive about anything! It's pretty hilarious!

We traveled home on New Year's Eve, and we're happy to be back!  We sure love all our family, and we're grateful for the time we got to spend with everyone this year!



0 comments:

Post a Comment