Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fertility and Stuff...

So, since I haven't posted anything about my [in]fertility in a while... it's time for an update. A word of warning: I'm not holding back, and if this kind of thing grosses you out, you ought to stop reading now.

The last time I went to the doctor was in December, and she told me we needed to do a semen analysis. Honestly, all I could think was, "gross..." Yeah, yeah, I've been married a while now, and I realize sperm is not actually a bad word and discussing semen does not make me blush. However, I was not thrilled at the prospect of collecting it and delivering it to the lab at the hospital. GROSS! Okay, so it turns out it really wasn't that bad. Like, at all. We finally did the analysis last week, and I'm happy to report that DJ passed with flying colors (I figure he won't mind me telling the world he's wonderfully fertile...HAHA). SO.... on to the next test. This one's all about me.

And once again, I keep thinking "GROSS!"

On Monday, I'm going in for a hysterosalpingogram. Yeah, I had to Google the spelling of that. Okay, and the pronunciation. Most people just call it an HSG. What? You've never heard of it? Consider yourself lucky. Basically I get to pay $400 (which, by the way, is AFTER a 40% discount) for a radiologist to inject some dye into me and get x-rays to find out the shape of my uterus/fallopian tubes/etc. Are you jealous yet? My doctor described this as "an elongated pap-smear." Now I KNOW you're jealous.

I'm sure it won't really be that bad. Right? Really, convince me that it won't be! I'm not really too nervous. What's funny is, I'm WAY more disgruntled by the thought of paying $400 than the thought of a tube being inserted into my body in an unfavorable way. That doesn't really bug me too much. If you know me well, you know I'm not an incredibly private person, and I choose not to let things be awkward. Especially medical things. Cause really? Those doctors went to SCHOOL for this. They get paid big bucks for it. I have no reason to be embarrassed about letting them into my [very] personal space. Right?

When I was discussing this Ranee', she assured me that everything would be fine, the doctor would put me on fertility medication, and I'd end up with 12-tuplets. Heaven forbid! I told her my max was triplets. She decided that was plenty of babies to go around, so that's now what I'm aiming for. HA!!!

5 comments:

  1. Yikes...yeah, I'm totally jealous. I hope you the best, but hope Ranee' is a "little" off on her math...remember she DID go to LHS. ;) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that things go well for you! The elongated pap smear comment totally cracked me up by the way. Ha ha... oh goodness. Not fun.
    Tyson always reminds me when I'm embarrassed about medical stuff that this is what doctors get for being doctors. You should not be embarrassed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So here's the thing.... the HSG is NO BIGGIE!! This is an awesome step for you!! YEAH to empowerment!!! PLEASE call me if you have any questions regarding all of this stuff... I would LOVE to be a resource for you!!! (PS: Take a couple of Motrin ahead of time... if you haven't already been told that!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It's the worst feeling in the world, isn't it?

    I'm sorry your HSG is so stinkin' expensive. I hated that test. It wasn't painful to me, so hopefully you'll have the same luck! :)

    If you ever want to talk fertility issues, I'm your gal! Seriously, email me any time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your attitude! This is just a little bump in the road..... aaahhh the things we have to go through. Your going to be such a good mommy :)

    ReplyDelete